Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2013

SOMUANYIRO - CHAPTER 3

A few weeks after my little sister Echdime was born, my father had series of meetings with our umunna. On the last meeting day I was called in. I clearly remember my mother’s unhappy face when Ugorji, my father’s brother came to take me away from her unu.
As I walked into the obi where they were gathered, I could feel their stares piecing my skin. For a short moment I got scared. I must have done something wrong to be called to the meeting. Maybe they found out that I have been eating the food meant for my Chi every morning.
Looking at my father, I see the pride in his eyes. This restored my confidence, I know I have done nothing wrong and no one knows my secret yet. I have a brilliant smile plastered on my face as I go around greeting the umunna, with the customary side hugs. After this I sat beside my father and he put his right arm around me.
Ibeakwuzie, my father’s cousin, stood up to address us, though his little speech was clearly for my benefit.
 “We have all heard what Olujubem has said, and we have also deliberated on the issue. After some fact findings and consultations, we have agreed to wholly support our brother to any extent. As it is, Uzolue our ezemmuo has set a date for the ritual.”
His speech went on and on, listing the materials needed for the rituals and what each person was to contribute in show of support.
I could feel fear creeping up my body again, but when I looked up to my father, I found reassurance. Then I heard Ibeakwuzie mention my name.
“Olujubem and his daughter will go into the forests of our ancestors with Uzolue and stay there with him for four market days, until the gods accept the sacrifice. The rest of us will be waiting in the village, to celebrate and kill the sacrificial cow when you emerge successfully.”
This whole ritual and sacrifice talk was beginning to overwhelm me, so I had to speak up in my own defense.
“But Nnanyi” I drown my fears and interrupt him. “No one asked me if this is what I want for myself.”
As a woman and a young child I had no right speaking in this gathering; my presence alone was a mere privilege, so i was surprised when i got smiles and nods of approval rather than a serious caution. My father seized this moment to speak in pride. 
“You can all see the reason why I made my decision.” He looked around the obi for approval. “She is sharp and never afraid. As young as she is, she knows when to speak for herself and make decisions. These are qualities every man wants for a son, I too deserve to have one. While I wait for the gods to bless me with more children, I am proud to make her the first of all my sons and with the help of the gods this will come to pass.”


Unfortunately my father never had more sons; neither did he have more children. I went through with the rituals and became my father’s son. I was made a man in the eyes of the society, which means I could no longer play the roles of a woman. I can never bear children of my own; marry a man, cook meals, or dress like a woman.
I accepted these conditions and so much more because my father said so, and I must make him proud no matter what. He and I are kindred spirits; therefore I was unable to refuse him anything.
When I became his son, I became his confidant. I got to know the deepest secrets that burdened him. I found out that for so many reasons I owe him my life, he gave up so much for me. How hard could it be for me to make him proud even beyond his imaginations? After all my life is peculiar.
Growing up, this burden my father passed on to me has not stopped me from living my mark in the society, though I am a threat to some of the foundations of our beliefs and the secret surrounding my bath is a sacrilege in itself. So far I have never divulged it to another.
As far as I know, other than me, only three others know this secret; my parents and our newly departed ezemmuo Uzolue, and they are all dead. I plan to die and be buried with it. “Onye kwelu chi ya ekwelu, my god approves whatever I approve.”

2 comments:

  1. cherry(chibugo)3 April 2013 at 13:54

    ice but too short. Why don't u write every day. Nice one though just dat I wanted more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry dearie, its too short for me too, but dont worry, what matters is that u enjoyed reading it.

      Delete